Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What kind of learning environment do I try create for my students?

The environment I strive to have in my classroom is one in which students learn from me, from each other and from other resources discovered on their own or collectively through such mediums as the internet. I try to implement digital tools in my classroom in such a manner that students take what I teach them to become problem solvers and self learners. I believe that becoming a self learner might be the most import factor in a 21st century classroom. Part developing self learning is having access to digital tools and the internet. I try to create and maintain a casual, successful learning environment for my students
I would very much like to in the future to develop my own website where students could access a wide range of materials and information that is class related. This web site would have links to engineers, old inventions and future technologies that are being currently developed. I would like to link to You Tube so students could watch videos that cover manufacturing, construction and other subjects that relating to classroom activities. Because today’s students are computer literate, having grown up with technology, I would like to take the skills they already possess and apply them to the classroom. For example, most students have a Face Book or My Space account. They are already accustomed to communicating via technology. I would like students to develop a discussion group or blog that would relate to our focus in the classroom.


What are my top 10 elements of a successful 21st century classroom?

1. A safe and respectful environment in which all students can learn and feel comfortable enough to contribute their ideas. No child gets left behind and tolerance is always practiced. Students feel they can safely address the teacher about any problems they might have affecting their learning.

2. A learning environment in which all students regardless of race, sex, or religion have equal access and equal opportunity to succeed and the gap between different groups closes.

3. Administrators and teachers all have high expectations for students and work in collaboration to help meet the high expectations.

4. Differentiated instruction is used to help all students succeed.

5. Students take responsibility for their own learning while building a love for learning.

6. Teacher stays abreast newest technologies and applies technology in the classroom to enhance instruction or student learning.

7. Students become discerning gatherers of information. They learn how to find, evaluate, and utilize available resources.

8. Students develop the ability to solve problems by applying information and knowledge.

9. Students gain a sense of global community, understanding the necessity for countries and people to unite to solve the problems we face now and will face in the future. They need to learn what it means to be a productive, contributing member of the human race.

10. In the 21st century collaboration and communication skills are essential to work together to problem solve. These skills must be developed in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment