Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blog digital projection
The subject I teach, introduction to engineering, and the tools and software I have for the class drive the decision-making process in creating lesson plans that use digital projection for enhancing the lesson. In my classroom I use my teacher’s desktop computer, Dell laptop, Mac laptop, or student Mac laptop hooked to my projector to introduce a lesson or model a lesson to my students almost on a daily basis. In my field of teaching, the projector ranks fourth in order of importance just behind the teacher, student’s computer and software. When warranted, a digital sound system is linked to the projector to enhance the lesson. My students get several opportunities to employ technology to present research assignments to the class by using their laptops linked to the classroom projector. After a student’s presentation, I will often point out and bring to discussion the import learning points to the class. I find when using projection type data it is best to have interaction with my students to help maintain their focus and to underscore what I think are the import points of the data. Projectors start at a few hundred dollars up to several thousand dollars in price, but for hours used in my classroom per cost it is one of the most cost effective digital technology tools in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I am so jealous of the Mac computers you have at your school!
    I like how you point out that using the projection is best when it includes interaction among the students. I think some teachers use them as just another way of lecturing but I agree that student interaction with the projections is key.

    ReplyDelete